Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Original cabinets finally appreciated!

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Man, you don't miss a trick GM, I hadn't even considered the possible double-entendre of "appreciated". It seems to fit either way, too. Does that make me a smart feller or what?

    I couldn't tell for sure, but expect those beauties are headin' for Japan. D'ya think they yen more for this stuff, or just have more yen? forums

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Art J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    August 1st, 2004
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Posts
    238
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh bfish, I thought you were the one who bought them. You let them get away?
    I wonder if Altec and Electrovoice had the same cabinet factory. They look
    very similar to the Patrician.

    http://hifilit.com./hifilit/Electro-...ricianIV-1.jpg


    604b in 10 cu ft large port reflex, must sound grand.......

    forums

  4. #4
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Those were right here in my back yard but way out of my price range.
    Bet we would all cry to learn what the seller actually paid for them.

    Nice to see they got some respect in the market place.

    Gary

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    C;mon, Art, I gotta buy blown baskets and build bulky boxes. Haven't spent anywhere near that kinda money in one place since I bought my ol' truck.

    The cabs are beauties though. It's possible they could be HillCrafts or CabinArts, both made cabs for several mfrs back when.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    I'll say! Adjusting for inflation, they would be ~$4760/pr. today, so getting 50 some odd years of maintenance free enjoyment out of something and selling it for >28% more than you paid for it is a sweet deal!

    GM

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Schell's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2003
    Posts
    414
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Those emclosures are stock Altec model 605A, the fancy furniture cab used with the Duplex from about 1947 to 1953. I have one that is a bit earlier than these. It has a late production original 604, serial number in the 3300 range, but strangely enough the B crossover as was used with these 604Bs.

    Here's some useless trivia... see those round discs holding the fiberglass in place? I have seen close up photos of Altec cabs from this period on ebay in the past, and some of those discs appeared to be the perforated rear plates from Western Electric drivers like 756A and 728B. Altec apparently received a huge lot of parts from W.E. in 1950 when they took over the manufacture of several W.E. models. Altec fitted cloth vent covers to their versions of these drivers, so they found another use for their surplus quantity of these shiny metal discs.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Your trivia's always welcome Steve, thanks.

    You know, I noticed those discs and briefly puzzled over why all the sink strainers....if I'd have known the truth at the time, I'd have puzzled anyway. Think I'd have stamped a logo in them and used them for grill badges.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member jnorv's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    220
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  10. #10
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm of the old school that believes that speakers should be like fine furniture. Some of the modern looking speakers make me cringe. Great if you want the speakers to stand out in a Mission style living room. I prefer the speakers to blend in. These speakers are georgeous. I wish speakers companies would start making FURNITURE speakers again. Some do...but MOST don't.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.